BOTANICAL GARDEN – June 21, 2021
The Botanical Garden of Palermo is among the top Italian academic institutions. It is a centre of scientific research deeply involved in the knowledge and conservation of the environment. The Botanical Garden was founded by the University of Palermo in 1789, and today covers an area of 10 hectares. Like the neighbouring Villa Giulia, a public garden built at the end of 18th century, the Botanical Garden includes attractive statues, bas-relieves and other interesting features.
As an open-air museum, this botanical garden contains living collections of plants and provides the best growing conditions that many different types require. The Botanical Garden is important for the vast number and variety of different species under its care, some of them of extraordinary size. The favourable climate of Palermo reproduces the natural habitat of most of the plants which allows for their natural growing and flowering. Large collections are represented by Mediterranean, tropical and subtropical plants, as well as by numerous specimens of exotic plants.